Buildings As Climate Action Group: To support and lead the community in fostering solutions to our climate emergency through green building policy, incentives and actions.
Action Group Goals for 2020: To effect the rapid implementation of the Thurston Climate Mitigation Plan - Buildings and Energy strategies and actions.
- Focus advocacy and leadership on 5-10 Thurston Climate Mitigation Plan B-group actions
- Engage and mobilize 500 people
- Launch a high-profile "Exemplary Buildings Challenge" demonstration project, supported with Cities’ & County incentives, to build 50 zero carbon buildings by 2025.
Calls to Action
- Buildings as Climate Action #3
- Email City Council and County Commissioners
- Topic: Energy and Transportation
- Buildings as Climate Action #2
- Email Olympia Land Use and Environment Committee
- Topic: Buildings as Climate Action
- Buildings as Climate Action #1
- Postcards to Elected Officials
- Topic: Urge support and early action for Buildings and Energy Actions in the Draft Thurston Climate Mitigation Plan
Working Draft of a proposal to call on the private sector to showcase climate-friendly building practices, and urge our local jurisdictions to adopt incentives outlined in the Thurston Climate Mitigation Plan.
Resources discussed at BACA meeting on April 1, 2020:
- Hemp Building Materials: Pat Rasmussen shared her info regarding Hemp Building Materials, and told us about the webinar on Hempcrete and Hempwool insulation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0TNdX644pg See product information on HempWood also.
- C-PACER: Chris described the new Commercial - Property Assessed Clean Energy Financing law (HB 2405 Bill Text), and shared a video explaining how it works: https://youtu.be/R3Ota3uvM1E And here's a page from the NW Energy Coalition re the new law.
- Brussels Model During discussion of the 20 by 2020 Building Challenge, Zack Semke mentioned the Brussels Model after which their challenge was designed. Here are two good articles about the Brussels model, it is very inspiring! 1. Brussels Exemplary Buildings Program + Passive House Law of 2011 2. How Brussels Went Passive
Group Meeting Notes