Join a Climate Action Group!
Please let us know which group(s) you are interested in joining and the skills and interests you bring to this effort by emailing Lynn Fitz-Hugh at , or the contacts listed below.
Below is a brief description of initial actions the Climate Action Groups plan to take:
- Advocacy: Advocate with public officials on the Thurston Climate Mitigation plan (TCMP) through the Carbon Free Thurston Campaign. Early actions: provide list of early actions to the cities of Olympia, Tumwater and Lacey and Thurston County to consider adopting, before the TCMP is complete. For more information contact, Tom Crawford:
- Energy: Promote energy efficiency, green energy, decarbonizing the grid. Early actions: Encourage everyone to take the free PSE energy audit so you know what you need to do to your own home to decrease use of fossil fuels. Meet with organizations such as churches to promote solar projects on their buildings.
- Food and Agriculture: Work on eating habits that promote sustainability for the planet and yourself, food recovery and regenerative agriculture as a carbon sink. For more information contact, Lynn Fitz-Hugh:
- Buildings as Climate Action (Green Buildings & Cities): Advocate for green urban planning policies, green building incentives, and improved infrastructure for non-motorized transportation. For more information contact, Chris van Daalen:
- Transportation: Promote alternative transportation such as public transit, vanpools, biking and walking. Early actions: bring together local groups working on transportation issues for monthly discussions. Fore more information contact, Carrie Ziegle:
- Trees: Promote tree planting and forest protection, research current plan to protect mature trees, work with other local organizations, explore developing a “Plant for the Planet” type group for middle school students. Early actions: meet with cities, county, and local organizations, and plan tree planting events. For more information contact, Lisa Ceazan: