April 2, 2020
ABOUT THURSTON CLIMATE ACTION TEAM
Thurston Climate Action Team (TCAT) is a local non-profit organization dedicated to bringing our community together to reduce climate disruption — resulting in a healthy, just and prosperous future for all. TCAT is spearheading a multi-pronged approach to addressing the most urgent challenge ever faced by humanity. From influencing local government priorities to promoting energy efficiency and empowering citizens to mobilize, TCAT has earned a reputation for leadership on climate in Thurston County. Learn more at https://thurstonclimateaction.org/
TCAT is currently seeking a Digital Communications Coordinator to work from home 80 hours per month, under the supervision of TCAT’s President. Our team is looking for a motivated, tech-savvy individual who is passionate about addressing climate change in Thurston County, and will serve as a professional representative of TCAT.
The goal of this position is to use digital media to foster awareness of the climate crisis across a wide-reaching audience, and engage the public in creating personal and systemic change to reduce sources of climate change generated from Thurston County. Duties include managing our electronic newsletter, on-line calendar, website, online Speakers Bureau, social media and blog. Other duties include analyzing relevant data and metrics, troubleshooting technical issues that may arise with the TCAT website and email systems, and engaging volunteers to write content for digital media.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain websites using WordPress software. Manage online Speakers Bureau, website pages for Climate Action Groups, and newsletter signup form. Post blogs.
- Maintain on-line calendar of local climate-related events. Monitor government websites, organizations’ newsletters/websites, etc. for climate-related events of interest to our subscribers, to post to website calendar.
- Communicate local climate news and events through weekly electronic newsletters and action alerts, using the MailChimp® platform. Conduct outreach to expand number of subscribers.
- Communicate through social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Write content and incorporate graphics for website, e-newsletter, social media, action alerts, and press releases. Produce promotional materials.
- Maintain databases, including email distribution lists, volunteer database and online speakers bureau database.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- At least two (2) years’ experience developing or maintaining websites and conducting campaigns using social media tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint and graphic design skills.
- Research, data tracking, and report writing ability.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and prioritizing skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently. Impeccable follow-through and juggling multiple priorities and tasks.
- Ability to remain flexible and work effectively to maintain positive relationships with internal staff, volunteers, and the public.
- Skilled in working with community partners and enjoys working with teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, environmental management, or related field.
- Experience with MailChimp or a similar CRM application.
Candidates chosen to be interviewed will be required to provide the following:
- A writing sample, such as an essay, press release or letter to the editor.
- A graphic design sample, such as a brochure, flyer or poster.
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required from day to day.
- Hourly rate of $20-23.00 / hour before deductions and withholding.
- This position is not eligible for health coverage, paid vacation, sick leave, or other benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit resume and cover letter explaining why you are the best candidate for this position to
- The deadline for applications has been extended to April 17, 2020.
TCAT is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.